PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BOAC B707 ops in the 1960s
View Single Post
Old 27th Nov 2014, 20:08
ExSp33db1rd

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
707 seating - as described and no, the Nav seat didn't move fore and aft on the a/c centerline, but it did swivel and move closer to the table, and up and down of course to accommodate various physiques.

The sextant was contained in a fairly large, triangular shaped metal container, I think that the idea originally was that the Nav. would collect a sextant from Ops. and carry it out to the a/c each trip, probably a hang over from the days when Nav's owned their own Mk.9 bubble sextant and were responsible for them, as in seafaring days - maybe ? Fortunately that idea was forgotten and the 707 sextant case was bolted to the flight deck floor at the base of the "wardrobe" that occupied the space between the engineers station and the flight deck rear wall / door. In Winter it was necessary to brush aside the raincoats that were hanging over it.

On the Stratocruiser the co-pilot reached his seat by walking behind the flight engineers panel, and the navigator was in a little 'room' of his own, down a step, behind the flight deck, comms. with the pilots was by intercom.

Vandalise Loran charts !! Perish the thought, no it wasn't me, but I did suggest a method of using the square protractor to parallel the azimuth of the body away from site of the 'assumed' position, this kept the eventual 'fix' uncluttered with extraneous pencil lines.

Slightly off thread, but a colleague found himself navigating HNL - TYO at an unusually high latitude, for which he had no Loran chart coverage, so when the a/c position started to fly off the top of the chart on to the table he tore off a strip of plain white paper out of the teleprinter mounted above the Nav. table - no ones' mentioned that yet ! - and stapled it across the top of his chart, then created his own Mercator chart by projecting the meridians as parallels and using the formula for expanding the latitude ( you do remember how to do that, don't you ! ) on the plain paper, and then navigated by Astro until his track returned to the chart that he had and he resumed using the Loran. Clever

I'd have complimented him instead of criticising him for failing to ensure that he had the correct charts before starting ! Thinks - where would he have obtained a Loran chart on Honolulu airport at that time of night before departure?

millerscourt In GF it was called Brown Cow!
and on the Britannia 'Brake Dwell Cocktail,

Happy days.

Last edited by ExSp33db1rd; 28th Nov 2014 at 00:17.