PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 12
View Single Post
Old 27th Nov 2014, 06:54
RetiredF4

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gums View Post
What I have seen is a buncha engineers trying to make a fool proof system that does not account for a human being that knows how to fly!!

Answer by Dozywannabe
And yet the head of the pilot engineering team was the man who succeeded the legendary D. P. Davies - presumably poached precisely because he had experience in testing and designing around pilots' needs. Sorry gums, but I have to disagree strongly here

Yes, gums statement looks harsh, Although I underwrite the first part of his sentence and see the second part more as outcome than as intent.

See the FAST magazine 23 from 1998

Most late-technology aircraft carry the most up-to-date systems to assist the pi- lots in achieving their tasks, without changing the nature of the tasks them- selves. The protections built in the fly- by-wire system is one of them. These systems have been designed to be a COMPLEMENT for the pilots, after a thorough analysis of pilots’ strengths and weaknesses; basically they have been added wherever they could do better than man, to compensate for those weaknesses.
http://www.airbus.com/support/public...docID%5D=17429

Read the whole article, it is interesting in its own way.