PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Drones threatening commercial a/c?
View Single Post
Old 27th Nov 2014, 05:02
Tourist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's the same as all the hysteria about l@sers and terrorists and every other doom laden news report.

"We are all going to die!!!"

Over a million people die every year in road accidents, and yet we all get in cars without undue stress.

Life in London continued through the blitz with 100 tons of high explosives raining down every night.

Watch the footage of Tarir Square where an Apache has about a thousand green lasers on the cockpit yet he continued to fly quite happily.

The modern world worries too much about the statistically insignificant.

I have no doubt that eventually an aircraft will be brought down by a drone either deliberately or by accident, no different from birds really. Should we kill all the birds?

Everybody has to die.
If there are 7 billion people on the planet, and people live let's say 75 years, then to hold steady, 265,000 have to die every day.
265,000 every day!

What's the big deal if 300 die in a plane crash once in a blue moon?

Don't get me wrong, I like being alive, but life is not about surviving the longest, it's about having the best life.
Banning everything that increases the risk of death(Sailing/skiing/motor racing/etc etc etc) would leave a very dull world.

For me, just the amazing footage already seen from baby UAVs is more than worth the infinitesimally small addition to my risk of death from a UAV.

Particularly when you consider that a large airliner should not be in any way vulnerable to a single strike from even a large quad copter. Might lose a single engine yes, same as a large bird really.

Quite frankly, anybody who believes that baby UAVs are as big a risk as nuclear weapons has a credibility(sanity?) issue.

Part of being a decent pilot is the ability to measure risk and adjust accordingly. Anybody who thinks that baby UAVs appear anywhere near the top of the risk register has no place in the cockpit.

The invention of the affordable automobile by Henry Ford made possible the car bomb. Should we ban the car?!

Most people would agree that the many positives of the car offset the occasional tragedy, awful though they are.

Last edited by Tourist; 27th Nov 2014 at 06:45.