PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pushback by SLF in Arctic.
View Single Post
Old 27th Nov 2014, 02:43
FlamantRose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BEA Argosy freighter in the 60s

I worked for BEA in LFPB in the 60s and every night at around 01:30Z we had the LHR/LBG/LHR Argosy freighter with 6 or 8 pallets (not sure now as that's roughly half a century ago). However one night the acft arrived and parked as usual. Turnaround programmed 30 mins. All pallets unloaded and ours loaded. Operation on time. All doors closed, engines start up and as usual off you go.
Well believe or not this time the acft didnt budge 1 inch. Crew kept increasing rpms but no luck it wouldnt move. Well it was decided with the crew that we (me D/O together with our cargo Agent and a bunch of loaders) would push as hard as we could on the 4 wheels with the 4 Rolls Royce Dart engines increasing the rpms, but still no go. We tried and tried and tried again but we finally came to the point where the acft was to be declared AOG. The crew remained on board and at around 05:30Z they wanted to make a last attempt. So I attended the start up and when crew increased the power the Argosy rolled away normally and we stood there and we just couldn't believe our eyes. This happened in June and the skipper had left the parking brakes on upon arrival.!!!