PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 26th Nov 2014, 08:51
Null Orifice

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Memory lane!

Brings some of it back into focus again, thanks for the piccie!

I'm not used to seeing that view from upstairs, being one of the lower-level dwellers in the building to the left of shot.

The picture reminds me of the tractor incident, where an unauthorised groundcrew 'member' (I use that word deliberately!) was driving the tractor back to the squadron HQ from the flight line to its parking place just around the corner of the building on the right.
On arriving at said parking place (facing the wall), he failed to stop and collided with the aforesaid wall, bending the front bumper of the tractor in the process. External damage to the wall was only slight; however, the impact dislodged most of the white ceramic tiles on the inside wall of the toilet within. Another groundcrew member had, fortunately, chosen a stall other than that in the corner and was unhurt, although he was moderately traumatised by the incident.

Apperently, the driver had seen others, more competent than he, arrive at said parking place having first pulled the diesel cutoff lever, brake using the foot brake, then apply the parking brake, and leap off - all in one smooth action. His lack of skill and judgement led to considerable mirth in the crewroom - the inevitable disciplinary action followed. Cost him a few quid too, if memory lane leads to the correct destination!