PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 27th May 2003, 20:41
John Purdey

CHINOOK

Broomstickpilot. Many thanks, and you comments noted. I do not know whether or not you read the various exchanges in this forum several months ago, but if you did you may have seen my principal question in this whole sad business, which is this.
There is no doubt that the aircraft crashed just over 500 yards to starboard of the intended track to the lighthouse waypoint. That meant that the high ground confronting the crew was around 850 feet, rather than the 350 feet that it would have been had they been on track (I do not have the precise figures in front of me here, so please do not quibble about them!).
Their cruise climb settings would have cleared the 350' terrain, but of course they could not clear the 850' terrain. What I do not understand is that neither MOD nor, as far as I can see, did anyone else, lay appropriate emphasis on this central and crucial factor in the equasion.
To those who have heard all this from me before, my apologies; yet no-one has rebutted what I am saying, which is that THE CREW WERE NOT WHERE THEY THOUGHT THEY WERE. Please tell me what you think of it. Regards.. John Purdey.