PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 25th Nov 2014, 09:41
Null Orifice

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
XV 194

Nice picture of the late lamented XV194, AA62, it being in the proper colour scheme and all!.

It's actually facing the 'right way' as it receives final fuel and the culinary delicacies prepared by Changi Creek - it is the other Ks in the shot that are the wrong way round. This untidy-looking situation arose frequently, due to lack of availability of towing resources (men and tug), and sometimes other (infrequent!) aircraft movements by the Shacks of 205 or the Kiwi vibrators .
Apparently, and before my time on 48, there was an incident featuring a very senior squadron pilot that involved the combination of reverse thrust, braking, and a slight downward slope on the far end (number escapes me) parking slot .
I believe there followed a squadron order?/verbal instruction? to airframe drivers that forbade them from reversing into the squadron dispersal slots - one of the aforesaid gentlemen may enlighten us further. As a result, all aircraft arrived 'nose in' to the slot, and were turned around during the turnround or afterflight servicing.

Tromso:

I don't know the full story regarding the demise of XV194. Tales of a possible asymmetrical reverse situation due to an outboard being out of limits, a crosswind, and a bit of a hoo-hah up front surfaced shortly afterwards.
This aircraft was the Fleet Fatigue Index leader at Lyneham at the time.