PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - G day workers
Thread: G day workers
View Single Post
Old 25th Nov 2014, 02:43
Sam Ting Wong

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I find it astonishing, truly remarkable, that a whole group of professionals ( well, 51 % at least) is willing to accept an argument without ANY proof, without any hard data, nothing.

Has anyone of you heroes any real information about how many g days are used to solve crewing problems? Any idea?? What difference would it really make if nobody would use a gday for a duty? Do you think the secretary is right when he talks about the significance of three people resigning? Why? How many could resign before it would be significant? Do you know, for a fact, what difference it would make if we would not be contactable when not required? What about reserve duty instead of a roster?? Do you know any relevant numbers, e.g. average flight hours per pilot, number of guys on reserve, etc etc? How many freighters could be operated by other carriers? Are they cheaper or more expensive than our own ops? Why? Do you really think the current crewing numbers are insufficient?How do our crewing levels compare to other airlines? How many do we need? Or is the current level the result of misplanning? Why? Any hard facts to back this up? Is there a causal relationship between total crew numbers and our pay deal?? Why? How many are missing, on which fleet?? Do you think overtime is bad for the company? How many flights are delayed/cancelled because lack of crew? How much is that in $? Do you think one ore two flights delayed for 10 hours makes a difference? How much does it cost? How much does it cost to have more crew? Do you think crew numbers are what they are because of crew planning or a result of our terms and conditions? Would it be difficult for CX to increase/decrease crew numbers? Why? Why not? How many trainers have we? Is that enough? Do you think because trainers say they work too hard/too much this reflects the actual facts? Do we really need more trainers? And if we would need more trainers, would it be so difficult to produce more? Do you think the amount of trainers is a result of misplanning/ because there are not enough capable/qualified people in Cathay? Could it be that there are actually enough trainers? If not, how many are missing?? On which fleet? How many crews could be trained outside if necessary? Would that be cheaper or more expansive? What are the savings on the other side of the balance sheet? How much more does it cost to have 10 % less trainers versus X numbers of upgrades less? What is the difference?

Why do you care so much about crewing levels in general ( with a contract that honours overtime) ? Do you see a correlation between crewing levels and your pay? If so, how?

I see a group acting purely emotional, driven by rumors and opinions, blaming the invisible other guy for being responsible. For the last 10 years some individuals talk about " interesting times", "the wheels are going to fall off", etc etc, but they never do!

I know you will now fall over me, call me names, etc. But I bet my red lanyard, nobody of you is able to come up with evidence.

Last edited by Sam Ting Wong; 25th Nov 2014 at 03:51.