PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Are you willing to compromise on handling?
Old 24th Nov 2014, 19:53
mary meagher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't do much power flying any more....in the US, the Cherokee or the Archer, and once a Beechcraft Sundowner, mostly renting a clapped out C172. In the UK had a share in a Raleigh Minerva. But for well tried and tested over the centuries (nearly!) it had to be a Supercub. With a 150 Lycoming. Let somebody else find out the shortcomings of the new types. I flew my Cub to Alicante, to get used to it, in the month of February, and it took 9 days altogether....After that excursion, GOFER earned its keep by pulling up gliders.

The best tried and tested training glider is the K13, evolved from the K2 and K7 when the wings were mounted midway up the fuse which gave much much better all around viz for both pilots. And the K13 will loop, spin, demonstrate negative gravity, and soar very nicely, thank you, with a 27 to one glide ratio. My competition glider, a French built Pegasus, with retractable gear and 15 meter wingspan, glide ratio of 40 to one, no vices, but it was labeled spinning not advised, so I didn't try any in the Peg. I still do spins to loose height on a nice soaring flight, just me and the suffering safety pilot in the front seat.....3 weeks ago it was still soarable in October! fabulous!