PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BRISTOL - 4
Thread: BRISTOL - 4
View Single Post
Old 24th Nov 2014, 11:41
MerchantVenturer

Brunel to Concorde

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wish lists and passenger surveys have to be taken with a huge pinch of salt. For example, if the CO EWR service had been supported by the business community in the way they suggested it would be before a NYC route was ever announced we'd be having one or even two daily flights still.

easyJet have been far more consistent with their routes at BRS than Ryanair with easyJet axing eleven* routes since 2002 whilst Ryanair have axed more than double that number even though they've only had a BRS base since 2007.

the easyJet routes that have been discontinued are:

Venice Marco Polo 2003-2009 Ryanair now operates to Treviso
Bilbao 2003-2004
Copenhagen 2003-2004, but restored in 2012
Valencia 2004-2009 now operated by Ryanair
Hamburg 2005-2006 now operated by bmi regional
Rijeka 2006-2007
Gdansk 2007-2008 now operated by Ryanair
Milan Malpensa 2007-2010 operated by bmi regional until October this year; Ryanair operates to Bergamo in summer
Warsaw Chopin 2008 now operated by Ryanair to Warsaw Modlin
Biarritz 2008-2009
Bastia 2009-2010 now a summer charter flight

* so far as I can ascertain

Of the above Venice stands out. I remember when it was axed there was an article in the local paper with a large number of protests from regular users. easyJet conceded that it was carrying very high loads but the cost of operating into Marco Polo forced the route closure at that time. Whether this situation has changed in the meantime obviously remains to be seen.

CDG is certainly carrying very high loads with 'sold out' shown on sectors several times each week. It does seem to be operating the 320 on the route most days this winter which, perhaps surprisingly, wasn't the case in the summer when at times half the following week's sectors would be shown as 'sold out' by the previous weekend.

That easyJet is losing passengers by having so many flights sold out was demonstrated to me last week. I flew from BRS to Barcelona and on the way out I heard a man behind speaking to a cabin crew member saying he wanted to return to Bristol later in the week but the BCN-BRS flights for the four following days were sold out and he was having to return via BHX with Ryanair.

GVA is hugely popular - for the past four years CAA stats show that the BRS route was busier than any UK airport route outside London to GVA - although airports such as MAN and BHX have substantial routes to other Swiss cities which BRS doesn't.

AMS is currently 11 x weekly although reports suggest the new AMS base will add two more weekly rotations next summer, with KLM at 4 x daily with the E190.

I wouldn't really like to offer any suggestions because I'm not privy to the likely economics of any route. I admit to being pleasantly surprised at the apparent success of the Keflavik route which has been increased to 3 x weekly this winter. That was one I wouldn't have thought was high in the pecking order of new routes so who knows what might happen in the near future?

What does seem likely is that easyJet have done their sums and believe that a significant expansion at BRS is feasible.