PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bird strike out of Guernsey continues on one Engine to Birmingham
Old 24th Nov 2014, 00:29
freespeed2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I fly a similar category of twin turboprop and have flown into all the airfields mentioned. When I read this first I thought 'that seems like a hell of a long way to go on one engine...surely there was a 'suitable' airport nearer than that'. Then I read the location quoted as near the Needles and Deano777's post on the weather. I would not entertain going to any of the nearer airfields in that kind of crosswind on one engine. The best option of a bad bunch was EGHI; while the W/V was 10 degrees off the runway, the varying direction and the size of the gust factor (19013G32KT 150V230) would make for an uncomfortably turbulent final approach. From the Needles at that altitude there's probably not much to choose between EGHI and EGBB anyway. Cardiff; probably a rushed 'dive and drive' would have task-loaded the crew unnecessarily.

It showed me that a little factual information on what was actually happening around them totally changed my opinion on the crews decision making process. In hindsight I think it was a good call. EGHI might have been a good call also, or it could have resulted in LOC due windshear on short finals...we'll never know.