PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Shut-down magneto check - advice
View Single Post
Old 23rd Nov 2014, 19:49
Shaggy Sheep Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What the fcuk's an 'Art Pilot'? Someone who draws pretty pictures in the sky with smoke trails?

Step, this is the Private Flying forum. Most private pilots in UK fly for fun. If you want to shift freight or pax, try a 747 or A380.

There is no reason I can see that a weekend fun flyer's fun in their few expensive trips into the third dimension should be compromised by an aeroplane that handles as if the flight controls include a few yards of soggy sponge. Richard Bach expressed similar views in 'A Gift of Wings'. I didn't know how true his words were until shortly after (having been inspired by that book) I did a PPL on C150s.

In the Chippy or Yak, the stick is held finger-thumb, with the pressures so light it's almost done by thought rather than stick movement, with instant response from the aeroplane. It makes the aeroplane part of the pilot - an extension of the body.

In a spammy one rolls on some aileron. And nothing happens. So roll on some more.And it sluggishly deigns to follow your input, provided there isn't a gust the opposite way that it'd rather follow. These aeroplanes are driven, a bit like a big bus, rather than flown, like a bird.

And there is absolutely no reason why the 'airman's art' has been designed out of them that I can see.

Maybe it's like American cars which are great in a straight line but don't do corners, designed for 500 miles of dead straight Interstate. A Mustang will blow your socks off in a straight line, but an MX5 with a fraction the power is a far more rewarding drive in the UK Peak District and will leave the Mustang in the dust on the first corner.

Spammys - US horses on a UK course?

Last edited by Shaggy Sheep Driver; 23rd Nov 2014 at 21:10.