PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus shock
Thread: Airbus shock
View Single Post
Old 27th May 2003, 14:47
Rabbit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re the comments regarding crosswind difficulties. I have been training on the type since 93 and the only time I found problems were as previously illuded to and that is overcontrolling.

Remember the inbuilt stability is such that if you can make yourself leave it alone it will return to where you had it after an external disturbance. If you are to quick as is possible and correct a disturbance, then you have introduced a new datum for the computer to which it will fly to and this I have found almost always leads to overcontrolling. So the answer is to train yourself to letting the aircraft do its thing first and then if necessary apply a correction.

As for landing in crosswind I have found it quite literally the easiest by far using one if the Airbus preferred techniques. Which is the wing down into wind method. You can get yourself set up early in strong x-wind situations by removing the drift early and just using aileron to maintain the certreline to touchdown. Those who prefer the decrab method, thats OK but if you misjudge the touchdown in strong x-wind then it usually turns rapidly to a bag of worms.

Now don't get me wrong here as I believe that Boeing produces good aircraft be they somewhat dated but I always harken back to a comon saying of a friend who by the way flies Boeings - "You can't make strawberry jam from pig sh#t". I also believe that Boeing in due course will modernise and who knows what new cockpit concept they will come up with.

Have a nice day