PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - More informed thoughts on the Cirrus
View Single Post
Old 23rd Nov 2014, 13:39
Genghis the Engineer

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Capn Bug Smasher
Genghis, please would you define the acronyms in your first post for me?

Cheers

Capn Bugsmasher

P.S. Thanks for writing it and sharing it with us! Sustaining food for thought.
You're welcome.

LD = Configured for landing

CR = Configured for high speed cruise.

SPO = longitudinal short period oscillation (a fast oscillation in AoA)

CAPS = Cirrus Aircraft Parachute System (os something like that)

CRM = Crew Resource Management (a set of best practices for communication and decision making in safety critical environments)

GPS = propietary USian form of GNSS (Global Navigation Safety System)

PPL = what people who pay for all of their own flying have.

Originally Posted by rotorfossil
I had a one hour trip in the SR22 in the States as well purely for interest. Also noted the neutral spiral stability. When I asked to try stalls in all configurations, power on and off, go-around etc this caused raised eyebrows and the comment that people who are thinking of buying it, mostly only wanted to know how to handle the takeoff and landing and how to set up the autopilot.
Nice comfortable cockpit though, even for a tall person, but the fact that you couldn't reduce the 2500 rpm cruise with the single lever control system must have an influence on the fuel consumption. Also the non steerable nosewheel meant a lot of brake use taxying in a strong crosswind.
I did take a look at the stall, although not in any great depth and didn't note precise numbers.

I flew three stalls and recoveries. CR / Idle / wings-level, LD / Idle / wings-level, LD / approach power / wings level, all at approx. 1kn/s decel.

All were totally benign in my opinion. 20ish lbf pull, moderate back stick pressure, moderate buffet felt through the stick 10-8kn before the stall, then a fairly loud reed stall warner about 5kn before the stall. In the two idle configurations there was a moderate firm nose-down pitching motion accompanied by 5-10 degrees right wing drop. The wing drop may have been because the aeroplane wasn't quite in balance - visibility of the slip ball was very poor from the right hand seat and the EFIS sideslip symbology somewhat ambiguous (in my opinion, and from the right hand seat) so I was mostly relying upon "seat of the pants" feel to keep the aeroplane in balance, which I did have.

Recovery was immediate using the CAA standard stall recovery (simultaneous pitch and full power) into a climb. Couldn't fault it really.

I elected not to taxi it or attempt a take-off or landing, as I wasn't captain and JZ isn't an instructor, but noted that the mechanisation of ground steering and braking seemed pretty much identical to the AA5, which I have 100ish hours on, but recall finding very intuitive and I adjusted easily to that within a few hours of first getting into one. Subsequently, I really like the AA5 in crosswinds as I can de-couple nosewheel and rudder, and can't see why the Cirrus shouldn't be similar.

G