PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Questions about starting out
View Single Post
Old 23rd Nov 2014, 05:06
halas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It probably doesn't help, but when l started out in the early eighties, there was a recession on. Things slowly improved and l happened to be at the right place at the right time, with minimum qualifications and got a bit of single time.
Having got a few hundred hours l had to get out aviation in the late eighties to pay the bills.
Then we had another recession but l managed to talk my way back into the industry prior to the '89 dispute.
Then there was a flood of airline pilots coming down the ranks and stealing jobs from the up and coming.
Was lucky enough to be in a company that was progressive enough to make me redundant as a result.
Got re-hired in a sister company as both were owned by Ansett. Much lower pay and back to pistons.
However worked my way back up in that mob and eventually (6 years) got into Ansett as an FO.
So after 16 years got the airline job l was after. Then the f*ckers closed the door.
So now in the desert building my finances as l made f*ck-all prior to moving here.
With 15 years left (if l can last that long) l think l will be able to retire reasonably comfortably but much less than if l had started in QF at 22.
So good luck.
There are many hundreds/thousands in front of you who have given up, but only a few (like you) who perserver.

halas