PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jabiru engine failures
View Single Post
Old 23rd Nov 2014, 03:58
Andy_RR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Creamie, there are at least two aspects of this issue. Firstly are the facts that give rise to the issue and secondly is the fact-free manner in which the issue is being dealt with, despite the regulatory publicity.

Since reputable facts appear to be in short supply regarding Jabiru specifically, the discussion here is more speculation than rational debate. There are plenty of other ROP-LOP threads to reference the basic theory from as well.

As far as an on-line, box-ticking petition goes, if that's what's become of our democracy then we are beyond help.

I have written to my federal MP with this. I may have gone off half-cocked and with crackd clys but I'd encourage everyone with an interest to do likewise.

Here's the guts of my message -

I want to bring to your attention an action by the Civil Aviation Safety Authority that may have grave consequences for a small but internationally successful part of our manufacturing industry - namely Jabiru Aircraft and its affiliated manufacturing entities. Despite being subject to various "tall-poppy" actions and criticisms by some, Jabiru has developed a world-recognized and successful product line in their aircraft and aero engines. Such success doesn't come without failure, miss-step or free from issues that need addressing, but is nevertheless the results of many years of hard work, persistence and personal sacrifice of the many people involved.

Despite this, or perhaps even because of it, CASA has issued and made public a proposal to apply blanket restrictions on the use of Jabiru aircraft and other aircraft powered by Jabiru engines. You can find the relevant proposal published here - http://www.casa.gov.au/wcmswr/_asset...c-cd1425ss.pdf This issue has also been raised on ABC Radio National Breakfast with Fran Kelly - http://mpegmedia.abc.net.au/rn/podca...41120_0836.mp3

Most concerning is that the CASA proposal is a blanket restriction of all Jabiru products. There is no supporting data supplied or referenced with the proposal that would back such action, nor is it specific to certain models, build dates, serial numbers or any other such identifying detail that people in the aviation industry have come to expect from such airworthiness-related administrative action.

Also, from what I can gather, this proposal seems to have been made public prior to an already scheduled consultation between CASA and Jabiru representatives despite that even the publicity of such a proposal has grave implications for the future of anything Jabiru-related, both current airworthy aircraft and the business itself, locally and overseas.

It might be excusable and dismissed as an administrative error if this were an unprecedented action by CASA, but CASA has made the Friday afternoon "show cause notice" fax the stuff of legend among aircraft operators. Its actions appear to be somewhere between inconsiderate regarding the nature of small business at best and plain commercially vindictive at worst. If the government were to put a broom through the entire organisation of CASA it would find huge support within the industry. Better yet, would be to give CASA a US FAA-style directive to foster and encourage the industry along side the mission to regulate its safety.

Aviation is a vital part of Australia's infrastructure, industry and technological future. In many areas Australian aviation holds a world leading position which the nation desperately needs to maintain for our future prosperity and growth. Heavy-handed and rough-shod regulation will kill it slowly or drive it overseas.

I urge you to bring this issue of the Jabiru regulatory action by CASA to the urgent attention of your government colleagues at the highest level. I also request that you champion a review of the manner in which aviation is regulated in Australia. I look forward to reports of action and hearing of your success in this endeavour.