PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Landing Clearance
View Single Post
Old 22nd Nov 2014, 22:22
good egg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tower ATC

Nothing stated as far as I know. We have a general rule at the airport I work at (single runway) that landing clearance is given by 2nm (due to a number of factors). Any time that this is reduced we "should" inform the pilot to expect a late landing clearance (with reason).
During Low Visibility Operations this is increased to 3nm to allow for increased risk of go-arounds - where separation between the preceding departure and the aircraft on a potential missed approach may be an issue (because there is no chance of applying Reduced Separation in the Vicinity of an Aerodrome in these circumstances). This at least provides 3nm + a certain amount of runway between the 2 aircraft should the approach be aborted (albeit you should also consider the speed of the aircraft involved - Vr vs. Vapp).
I guess it depends on what Radar separation needs to be applied...if you require 3 nm between aircraft the above is ok, if you require the standard 5nm then you'd need to apply larger spacing on final approach.

Last edited by good egg; 22nd Nov 2014 at 22:26. Reason: 3nm/5nm radar separation