PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Should I stay or should I go - Company Policy
Old 27th May 2003, 11:37
Sperm Bank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice try Apollo but I doubt it. Common sense covers a very broad spectrum. If one waits until the weather improves above landing minima (which in my opinion is farcical) you may well miss out when you get there as the wx can deteriorate below minimums very quickly if the right conditions exist. It is a command call on the day and I would suggest experience and local knowledge play an important role in the decision making process.

I have missed out at more airports around the world where the wx (forecast and actual) was considerably better than the actual conditions when we arrived. Alas wx is not homogenous. Conditions change (quickly at times) so I would always generally depart with wx below landing knowing full well that more than likely we will get in, possibly with a bit of holding.

More importantly, once again we see the need for CAT III airports and procedures in this country. Every year we see the same thing happen but the "head in the sand" Australians just wont come into the 21st century. The cost of those disruptions to the majors each year must amount to millions. More than enough to justify the cost of implementing CAT III ops. What will it take for some one to wake up to this quite obvious fact?