PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BOAC/BA Routes to Australia 1973-74
View Single Post
Old 22nd Nov 2014, 15:27
nonsense

Received 32 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by VC10man
My parents used to go on a BOAC VC10 to Cape Town. I think they refuelled in Nairobi, but where else would they have refuelled?
Zurich.
December 24, 1973, we flew from Nairobi to Zurich to Heathrow in a Super VC10 with about 10 passengers on board. Manchester was fogged in so we then travelled by train from London to Manchester, eventually being picked up by my uncle in his new fangled Morris Marina in the wee small hours of xmas day for the 25 mile drive to our final destination near Blackburn, Lancashire (of the 10,000 holes).

In early December 1971, when I was 8, we were on the first BOAC 747 service from Melbourne to Hong Kong via Darwen. The 1971 India-Pakistan war fired up almost immediately, closing Indian airspace and stranding us in the far east, before we eventually flew Hong Kong, south of India to Tehran, Beirut, Heathrow and thence to Ringway, Manchester to get home in time for xmas.

I have no idea what the aircraft or airlines were, and I missed out on seeing hippy era Kathmandu as originally planned, but I do remember the mountains to the north of Tehran and the Crusader Castle at Sidon very clearly.