PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 12
View Single Post
Old 22nd Nov 2014, 12:49
blind pew

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
PJ2 re last part of your post 937.
Unfortunately I believe part of the human aspects are due to the double standards which I have witnessed throughout my career.
It started with "inaccurate" accident reports and continued with illegal operations, ignoring SOP and flying with blokes who shouldn't have passed their IR renewal.
When one witnesses one law for those with connections and one law for the rest the overall moral suffers.
I was impressed by a union rep who flew with an Air France management pilot in the 70s after a period of industrial action "Of course I didn't fly - I had to support my fellow pilots".
This was at a time where my management were lying to us as to the IRA bomb threat.
That after the 447 disaster the AF pilot's had to call a strike to get the Thales probes replaced shows how far the industry has lost it's direction.
SR ceased to exist because of management decisions - after Baltensweiler retired. We had many FM and other pilots stand up to the ridiculous policies...they either were sacked or resigned.
There were two "similar" near disasters in a previous employer...one was a long range night flight where the captain made what he thought was a good decision for the company and the other was a "short haul" flight whose captain's decision was based on his ego and his wallet. One was hung out to dry and the second has a gold plated pension.
Reading of other incidents which smack of a lack of professionalism and education leads to a conclusion that Air France isn't unique but perhaps unlucky.
The malaise is throughout the industry...authorities - manufacturers - schools and is driven by short term profit.
There are many whistleblowers who are largely ignored and there are ALWAYS several of their mates willing to sell their souls to replace them - most of them who otherwise wouldn't get promoted.
I had a friend training on the A380 who phoned me to complain that it was dangerous as he didn't have a safety pilot....it went quiet when I suggested he threatened to resign.
Unfortunately money is a necessity - morals aren't and while we have authorities beholding to politician and airline pressure with the media in the same circus ring it will be down to individuals and luck.