PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VOYAGER AIRPROX
Thread: VOYAGER AIRPROX
View Single Post
Old 22nd Nov 2014, 09:05
MAD Boom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The slow compliance by aircrews to instructions by ATCOs to turn and descend has been a contributory factor in a number of miltary airprox in recent years - formation turns and descents in IMC I understand but not single aircraft; however large.
I see no mention of the Voyager pilot being slow to comply. Indeed the minimal information included in the report shows a 20s delay from the instruction to turn to a turn being initiated, however as Shotone has highlighted - was the instruction to turn acknowledged? Without a full transcript we, as observers, will never know. It appears to me that the turn was initiated by the pilot to avoid potential collision, not in response to ATC instruction, hence the Airprox report, however that is just my opinion based upon the information in the report - I may be completely wrong.

And that is my main point - how about we stop the armchair analysis, sat comfortably behind our anonymous profiles, and refrain from criticising the actions of those involved. We weren't there, we don't have the whole picture and so we don't know.