PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 12
View Single Post
Old 22nd Nov 2014, 06:35
Bergerie1

Received 48 Likes on 19 Posts
Phoenix,
Unfortunately it is much more complex than that. This why I think that what PJ2 has to say is so important. Over the last 50 years or so flying has become very much safer because aircraft, their systems, their flying qualities, the operating environment, many human factors issues, safety management systems, etc, etc, have improved so much. But, at the same time, I think the professionalism of flying has deteriorated. I say 'I think' because I retired from flying nearly 20 years ago and am therefore getting more and more out of touch. But I strongly believe that what PJ2 has said in his posts here is highly relevant to the Air France accident and some of the others that have been mentioned on this thread. And when I say 'the professionalism of flying' I mean more than just the pilots themselves. I mean all the many factors surrounding the profession, in particular the quality and relevance of their training, the attitude of many airlines towards their pilots, the way they are now employed and the fact that automation is a two edged sword.