PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - More RAAF intransigence YBWW/YBOK
View Single Post
Old 22nd Nov 2014, 05:07
mullokintyre

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Some good news

For every negative report, their is usually at least one good one.
Some years ago, I was flying into Darwin from Melbourne via Katherine in my trusty VFR single Comanche.
Never been there before, so I that morning rang the RAAf ATC guys and asked for some advice so as not to cause to much panic.
Spoke to a young lady who asked for my call sign and approximate arrival time.
She said she would be on duty at that time, and just to call up in the Estern VFR lane reporting point.
When I got close to darwin, the smoke haze was horrendous, it was rough as buggery and my kids were throwing up.
Was having trouble identifying things at 1000 ft AGL in completely unfamiliar territory. The RAAF ATC lady recognised my call sign , said hi, and made sure I headed to the west of track to avoid some of the worst smoke. Told me to keep looking for C150 doing circuits. Eventually spotted him ahead, so she said just follow him in and all will be well.
In the meantime there was an increasingly frustrated Neptune driver wanting to expedite into a straight in approach. As I had the wheels out , all flaps and half the door open trying to slow the Comanche down so as not to run up the clacker of the C150, our Neptune almost demanded he get priority.Tthe lovely lady in ATC reminded him that these GA pilots were paying for their own fuel as well as his, and he would just have to wait. There was a shocked silence from all, though I must admit I was laughing out load.
I got off that runway in about three seconds from touchdown, which at least allowed the guy to get his heavy down without a go round.

Mick