PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southwest Captain Reduced Power Before NYC Crash Landing
Old 21st Nov 2014, 20:08
glendalegoon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am getting the feeling that some people have not had enough exposure to different ways of thinking about flying.

So much talk of pitch attitude (certainly you dont want to land on the nose wheel or tail skid). But really, its all about rate of descent (somewhere between 0fpm and 500 fpm (maybe 600) at touchdown, in the touchdown zone ( near the 1000' fixed distance marker or so)

I realize that some very big planes require a method of teaching a novice pilot who really never gets to fly much on those super long hauls. I realize he may only get a couple of landings a month (if lucky).

but certainly a southwest pilot , with many legs should be able to FLY and not just set a pitch attitude, cut the throttles at a certain radar altitude and hope for the best

try to learn to fly boys, mainly from the old guys...

and if you can't pat your head and rub your stomach at the same time, maybe you shouldn't be a pilot. a great deal of things are happening and you have to wiggle the rudder, move the ailerons and elevator all at the same time...and even move the throttles.

I'm glad I know how to play the drumset too...always doing four different things....

I hope some of you get this and understand.