PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southwest Captain Reduced Power Before NYC Crash Landing
Old 21st Nov 2014, 13:59
glendalegoon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wait a second please!~

I described the blanking effect of a stand of trees and that adding power (briefly, just a quick shot) could help.

funny thing is I have never heard of the CLUTCHING HAND ( did read a book called, "THE GRIPPING HAND" once). Perhaps the clutching hand is sort of an advisory circular title...maybe I learned before it was written...gosh am I getting old!!!!

ICE PACK...I think you have something here. I have noticed that many pilots get the plane close to the ground and then just sort of give up and hope for the best.

but I have also noticed the same thing on takeoff. get going fast enough and give up completely on directional control and just sort of jump into the air. And hope for the best.

I had the great luck as a youngster to see ROBERT A BOB HOOVER perform with his SHRIKE COMMANDER at the RENO AIR RACES...I mean 50 years ago or so. Watching the way that man MADE THE PLANE GO WHERE HE WANTED IT TO, AND KNOWING WHERE HE WANTED IT TO GO impressed the heck out of me.

It took time, but I figured out how to do it (within the limits imposed by wingtip or engine pod clearance) and practice it as well as I can. Hoover had a high wing plane and could do amazing things, 737s not so much.

RULE ONE IN FLYING,,,know where you want the plane to go and know how to get it there and YOU DON"T STOP FLYING THE PLANE UNTIL THE PARKING BRAKE IS SET and chocks are in.