PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southwest Captain Reduced Power Before NYC Crash Landing
Old 21st Nov 2014, 13:11
CHfour

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quote:
Captainblogs.

You could just pull the stick back a bit to maintain flight to the aimpoint...
Eh?? I hope you are SLF, Captainblogs, rather than in control of an aircraft.

Have you never heard of the 'clutching hand'? (The trees scenario, described by Glendalegoon).

Have you never heard of the old aviation addage - that you pull back on the stick to go up, and pull back a bit more to go down... ? Never heard of that?

Or perhaps you are in the same school as Air France pilots, who opine "I am pulling back as hard as I can, but she is still going down" ... ? Do you follow the French school of theory of flight?

Please review the standard graphs detailing angle of attack, lift and drag. There are many aircraft, including the 737 with the 40o flap setting, where pulling back at ref speed results in a change of body angle, but no reduction in sink rate.

If you don't comprehend this, and don't know that the clutching hand refers to, please stay away from aircraft.

Silver.
A bit harsh there I think. Depending on the thrust setting and speed at the time (not power BTW) a gentle increase in back pressure is often enough. Sounds like a hyper active, twitchy captain who insists on flying the aircraft through the effo. I feel that he would have achieved a perfectly satisfactory landing if she'd just left him alone. If she felt the landing was not safely assured she should have called for a go around. Interfering with the controls without a proper handover is never acceptable.