PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BOAC B707 ops in the 1960s
View Single Post
Old 21st Nov 2014, 12:30
Bill Pinnock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
...threads of memory...

the closest I can offer is 1970-76 during which period I joined BOAC as a Joint Corporations cadet straight from AST Perth with 230 hours total on Cessnas, did the 707- 436 conversion at Prestwick 6 months later and started the FNL licence course in April '73.
By this time there were no "Straight Navs" but both F/Os on the crew held FNLs ( the captain was allowed to let his lapse ). There was no track structure on the N.Atlantic and nav training was conducted both there and up into the Arctic using Grid. Doppler ( limited by only a Polar Path compass system for heading reference ), Loran, Consol, and Astro were all used as available and necessary. Oh, how I miss the Flight Engineer's firm grasp on my inner thigh
approaching the end of a carefully calculated 3 star astro fix as I clung helplessly to the periscopic sextant.......
Can't help much regarding JFK as Newark was the closest I got in later years.....however, I do remember the advent of voice ID on the NY area VORs.
Air Almanacs still available for inspection by arrangement with Her Maj if you're ever passing Taunton way. Fun times...a crew that doubled as Rent-a-Crowd and a table for your dinner