PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Laptop Creating Too Many Sessions on Router
Old 21st Nov 2014, 12:02
MidlandDeltic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Laptop Creating Too Many Sessions on Router

Hi All

A new laptop has arrived in MD towers, and it is driving me insane! It was a competition prize, and is a fairly low-spec Packard Bell (TE69KB) running Windows 8.1, to which I have applied all updates. It connects fine to my Wi-Fi router (Eircom branded Zyxel P-660HW), but after a while stops connecting and returns timeouts. Delving into the router reveals that the client has exceeded the number of sessions allowed. The only way to resolve is to reboot the router - rebooting the laptop does not clear the problem.

Googling has suggested several options. The first was to increase the max number of sessions per user to 4096. Predictably, this just delayed the inevitable. The second was to update the firmware on the router. This was done, but had no effect on the problem. Malware and/or a virus was suggested, but a scan with Norton (it came with the machine) and Malwarebytes revealed nothing.

Last night the machine was logged off, but left running on the lock screen. As it happened I had left the router monitor on the main (ethernet) PC open, and this showed that the laptop was still attaching as a client to the route about every two seconds, and staying connected for about 30 seconds before disconnecting. This behaviour puzzled me.

This morning I have been digging round in Resource Monitor, and there were a number of entries in the TCP box with no name, just a dash. I reset the route firewall to medium (it had been low, as I run Planeplotter as a Master User and need port forwarding), and these disappeared. I have not let it run to see if this resolves it, but would appreciate any input from the assembled gurus here.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

MD