PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Group Captain Carol Vorderman
View Single Post
Old 21st Nov 2014, 08:35
Yozzer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have no doubt that CV and indeed all VR(T) 'officers' do a power of good for the future generations, but I cannot help but think that this is closer to fancy dress than a serious uniform. An opinion fuelled to a great degree by an ex Army Sgt becoming an ATC Adult Sgt now employed full time as a TEST Sqn Ldr without ever crossing the threshold of OASC or passing through Plt Off > Flt Lt.

Should bone fide servicemen really have to treat these people with "Yes Sir - No Ma'am" and the usual protocols associated eith Commisioned Rank?

I reckon its time that a variation of rank badge was introduced so that you know exactly what person you are talking to. I have no sympathy with the RAFP as an organisation, but I once witnessed a VR(T) Flt Lt (w) chastising an RAF Policeman on the gate in NI for not saluting her. At that time no saluting occured on that gate, and she had been on unit for a day or so on an annual camp, and was wearing an unbuttoned DPM jacket over blues!

Before you all jump to attack, just remember that the opinionated Sqn Ldr at the bar may have no military experience whatsoever, yet has the confidence to throw his gifted rank around. It is going to be a brave JO who takes him around the back of the Mess for a horoscope reading.