PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New guy here with a few questions about career in aviation
Old 21st Nov 2014, 07:57
LDP1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New guy here with a few questions about career in aviation

Hi everyone, joined this forum as looking for some advice and just to keep up my knowledge on the industry. A bit about me, I'm 25 years old and now at a turning point in my life having spent nearly ten years in retail and more recently driving HGVs, I've been in and out of attempting to get a start in aviation since I was about 16. When I was 21 istarted my PPL with plans to go onto CPL but had to stop due to funding.

I also tried to get in with NATs in their prestigious trainee ATC programme but wasn't successful. Now I want to know where I could possibly go next, I can work days on the side driving and this pays quite well in order to provide any funds needed. Some of my options are:

-I live in Manchester, Salford university do a degree called aviation technology which covers all the things I'm really interested in. You can go on to do a masters and get chartered aircraft engineer status. Would this be a worthwhile investment? Here is the link to it:

Aviation Technology with Pilot Studies BSc (Hons) | Undergraduate | University of Salford, Manchester

-Any other courses I could do either part or full time
-industrial placement if possible
-Sponsorship programme

I understand it is very competitive out there but if anyone can offer me some advice this would really help me out.

Many thanks.