PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BOAC/BA Routes to Australia 1973-74
View Single Post
Old 21st Nov 2014, 06:18
ExSp33db1rd

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
I recall SFO-HNL-TYO, and SFO-HNL-FIJI-SYD with 707's. Once had to divert a Fiji-SYD service to BNE due SYD Wx. Navigation Fiji-HNL was almost entirely by Astro, Loran a bit sparse on that route

707's had 3 month flight deck crew "postings" to SYD, HNL & HKG in the early '60s. before SYD was taken over by the VC-10. The 747 took over "postings" again in the late '70s.

My HNL posting was notable because the RAF had a small detachment based in Hawaii, at Hickam USAF base, which "shared" the same airfield as HNL Intn'l. They were there to service a Hastings that transitted once a week for the Atom Bomb testing ranges on Christmas Island at the time. The USAF base school let the kids out early on Tuesday and Thursday, to go see a Limey tail wheel aeroplane ! (I kid you not )

The RAF had a water-ski boat, and we had Stewardesses. We came to an "arrangement" !

We ski'd in a lagoon at the side of the airport, later re-claimed land to construct the present runway 06R, "Reef runway" - in later years I would tell my co-pilot that I learned to water ski on this runway. "Brakes released, check full power, V1, Rotate" Silly old Fart, I'm sure they thought !

Quote. ".... known by 2UE in Sydney as the Late Late Late." Thought it was the 'Late 8 8' ? but won't argue.