PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - USCG stuck: Bodega Bay
View Single Post
Old 21st Nov 2014, 02:53
Gordy

Received 50 Likes on 15 Posts
I read the article about the SCSO and disagree with their decision to attempt the rescue even though this time it worked out. I believe their risk assessment was flawed or they did not do one. I believe they may have been driven by other factors.

Ass to the Coast Guard Landing---You still don't get it---you were NOT on the aircraft when it landed and are basing your views on a photo taken after the landing. The pilot in command made a decision to land and, stuck by it and no harm was done. He may not have seen the flat field. I will tell you that it is extremely difficult to find flat ground sometimes.

The fog moves quickly in that area....we do NOT know the exact conditions when he landed.

And before you say that I know not of what I speak---I flew in the Bay Area for 8 years full time. I was a pilot with the Contra Costa County Sheriff Department and actually flew the Sonoma guys on a ride along in our 407 BEFORE they bought theirs. I applied for a job with them and chose not to pursue it further after visiting and getting an idea of their "culture". (Admittedly this was 15 years ago--things may have changed).