PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Using VPNs
Thread: Using VPNs
View Single Post
Old 21st Nov 2014, 01:52
Orvilles dad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MTB - you don't need to run a VPN to do what you seek. In fact, running a VPN will slow down the service and likely make it impossible to watch anything streaming.

The better way is to use a DNS switching service.

Basically, all ISP's allocate you an IP address when you sign on to their service. Those IP's are geolocated - i.e. it is possible to see which country you are in when using that IP. So if you try to access the BBC, for example, from overseas, the Beeb will check the IP, realize where you are and will block you.

So what the DNS switching service does is that it routes your service through their own DNS server, rather than the DNS server used by the ISP you are using. So if you try to access an NBC American show, for example, it knows you need a US IP so it will allocate you an IP address that is geolocated to the US, irrespective of wherever you are in the world.

This type of service is particularly common as we see the growth of Netflix. Your local Netflix service will show relatively few movies, mostly local - whereas the US Netflix has a huge collection of movies. So lots of my Canadian Friends use a DNS switching service to watch US Netflix as they have a better selection of shows than the Canadian Netflix, for example. They can also use this service to switch to the UK Netflix if they have a desire to watch Dr. Who.

The cost of a DNS switching service is a few US$ a month, and most importantly, they don't slow down your service as will a VPN.

OD

Staying up waiting for Rochester and Strood - good job the count is delayed or I'd already be in my "pit"