PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Questions about starting out
View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2014, 22:38
4forward8back

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think you'll find the two go very closely hand in hand.
Sorry, but this just isn't the case. I've worked bloody hard to get my 2000hrs, I have always done the best job for the companies I have worked for, I have gone well above and beyond the job description. Each of my previous employers have advised that should I ever wish to come back they would welcome me. I have worked and flown with RAAF and very senior QF pilots who tell me they're impressed with my work ethic, attitude and flying. They have backed those words up with references and referrals. I have even displayed one of their personal aircraft at a couple of airshows.

I avoided the sausage factories for my training, I go out of my way to fly challenging aircraft. I worked hard and did well on my exams/flight tests. I have gone bush and worked. I absolutely love the flying I get to do and bloody grateful when I get it. I feel like I have done, and continue to do 'the right things'.

I can't get steady work. These days, I generally get 5-10 hours of fill-in flying a month. Which means i've had to get a job outside of flying....which means i'm not as available for flying work...

Why can't I get work? Because I can't afford it. Not that I can't afford to live on the wages (which as we all know are pretty dismal, but doable). I can't afford to GET work.

Over the past 2 years of post MECIR job hunting I have been quoted everything from $1,000 to $15,000 for a job. For those that aren't following I would have to pay them. They have all advised that it's to cover training costs. This includes the job charging $1,000 (I have 200 hours on type) and one asking $2,200 (I have >500 hours on type).

Only one of the companies offered anything close to the award and without fail every single one wanted me to work as a contractor, no super, no tax etc... There's a discussion for another day...

All of these companies have people lined up out the door willing to pay to fly for them.

Now I look around and I just don't know where the work is going to come from. I have very little multi time, which I know is the big hurdle, but even my instructor mates can't get work and I always thought there would be instructing work around. The MECIR renewal is due in 5 weeks and I don't have the cash to cover it...

This isn't one sided, I will put my hand up as I have made bad choices along the journey, I have chased work which didn't turn out. Gone for the wrong job and made poor location/employment decisions. Leaving steady VFR work to get the MECIR done is probably the biggest cock-up.

Think between 2 and 5 years to reach an airline once you get your first job.
Dreaming.

FYI - I'm 33 and have a fantastic supportive wife, but the reality of life means I may just have to turn my back on being a full time pilot. At least there's always weekend joyflights/skydiving to keep the heart happy and the hand in. I'll just have to start saving to get one of those jobs...

Sorry for the downer, it's been a couple of weeks since my last flight. I just thought I'd provide a different story. It's a very tough life, I could pick up the phone now and call up 5 mates, all of whom are out of flying work. Yes the flying is utterly fantastic, my log book is full of fantastic flights/aircraft/airstrips/people, but is it sustainable? For the lucky few, maybe... And good luck to the bastards!!

There is only one thing that will get you ahead in this industry: $$$$