PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southwest Captain Reduced Power Before NYC Crash Landing
Old 20th Nov 2014, 16:48
AirRabbit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Oakape
The problem with some is that they believe that once the thrust levers hit the idle stop that the power is immediately at idle. To get idle thrust at touchdown the trust levers need to hit the idle stops before the main wheels hit the pavement.
I would agree … and the way I have always taught is that the pilot may initiate thrust reduction toward idle as soon as crossing over the runway threshold, and should be initiated no later than when the flare is initiated, and the power levers must be in the idle detent no later than upon main gear touchdown. I am not a big believer in sequential power reduction (i.e., “pull slightly back, stop, further back, stop again, further back, stop again, all the way to idle”) – while I don’t have any problem in a slow and deliberate power reduction, once the reduction is initiated, I prefer to keep the retardation movement until the idle position is reached. And, again, I say if the throttles are not AT idle upon main gear touchdown, they should be reduced all the way at that time.

ALSO, and importantly, if, at any time, the pilot feels it necessary to advance the power levers - ANY amount - THAT would initiate an immediate GO AROUND.