PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F35 C first deck landing
View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2014, 13:45
Lonewolf_50

Received 421 Likes on 263 Posts
Harry/LO:
About 143 fighters already delivered, in whatever config ... is a larger fighter fleet than how many nations?

LO, I see your point on IOC.
I had to deal with the effects of this program a decade ago and more, in terms of how it ate acquisition dollars and had impacts (negative) on a variety of programs to include the T-45 A to C conversion, T-45C being the trainer jet that feeds the F-35 pilot cadres.
I am not pleased with how long it is taking to get this bird IOC.
When one considers the expense of the aircraft, both per unit and the whole system. (Includes the simulators, training bases, maintenance training, etc.) the program has been attracting a lot of fair criticism. Also, some unfair.

F me, it's a money sink.

mel, reference Comanche:
Original buy target was over a thousand, which numbers got pared back twice (maybe thrice?) as program progressed. IIRC, it was below 1000 when the final axe fell.
The cost per unit went up a number of times by simply reducing buy numbers.
Yes, chasing some "close to the edge" performance numbers on that bird (won't further comment on the specs/requirements) didn't help its chances of surviving.

Sad to see it go the way of the plains buffalo.

John:
IMO, the Comanche's worst opponents were inside the US Army. Between the Apache mafia, and a lot of other acquisition/weapons systems that needed funding, making runs at Apache became fashionable by pretty much every other program.

Self inflicted wound by US Army, all the way around. I admit this may be an oversimplification. I don't think it is fair to call the Comanche a small acquisition program, given that the original aim was about 1000 aircraft. That's a substantial fleet.

All that comparison shows is how bloated F-35 is.