PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cocaine found at Breighton
View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2014, 08:05
Genghis the Engineer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts
Continuing to play devil's advocate, so please attack my arguments at your leisure...

Some context might be the amount of money that gets spent on a cocaine versus a flying habit.

A bit of searching around the internet suggests that a gramme of cocaine costs about £50, and a typical dose is about 1/10th of a gramme. So, about a fiver a dose. Toxic levels apparently start about a gramme a day.

Let's say that a reasonably heavy users takes cocaine twice a day. So that's 365 x £5 x 2 = £3,650 per year spent in cocaine. [Disclaimer, I have no idea if this is high or low, my total personal knowledge of drug use was a few people who smoked cannabis when I was a student.]

Comparing that to our 40 hr per year PPL, York flying school at Breighton show C150 hire at £100/Hobbs hour, so that'll be around £110 per logged flying hour. So, the sum is straightforward - a reasonably keen PPL will be paying about £4,400 per year to feed their habit.

So, my...
simple minded, context free, statistical analysis
(Yes absolutely) shows that as well as being half as likely to kill you, being a coke-head saves you about £1k per year compared to being a PPL.

G

Not going to save money by giving up his flying habit to become a coke-head, but finds the numbers interesting.