PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - USCG stuck: Bodega Bay
View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2014, 01:46
PrivtPilotRadarTech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is very entertaining, and occasionally educational. I thank the poster who answered my question, explaining that the problem keeping the CG Dolphin from taking off was excessive slope. Regarding the "dense fog", here's a photo from the scene.

See any dense fog? Maybe the hot air from the Rotorheads forum dissipated it, and dried the "mud" the Dolphin was stuck in. Now I was quite interested in learning something new about flying. I thought Rotorheads would share some wisdom. I learned that they are mostly blowhards with little technical knowledge, incapable of simply calling a spade a spade. Not a problem, in the field of electronics we call spades spades, and strive to learn from mistakes. So I learned about the Four Ws: Wind, Wires, Way In, Way Out, and the Four Ss: Size, Shape, Slope, Surface. So the CG crew failed two of those, Way Out and Slope. I will leave you with some words of wisdom from James McCollough, Test Pilot for Bell.
"The limiting factor to any slope landing is cyclic control margin. If the pilot determines that he is approaching the limit of lateral cyclic control margin prior to being firmly planted on the slope with collective reduced to low power it is his responsibility to abort the landing attempt."
None of you mentioned that. Now you know. I feel like I may have saved some lives today.