PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hour Building USA - (Master thread)
View Single Post
Old 19th Nov 2014, 19:59
DeanKline

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FAA Syllabus vs. EASA

Evening Gents!

Picking back up on a few posts from this time last year (Man, time flies right!) relating to FAA PPL vs UK PPL and the recommendation to train & fly in the USA if possible.

As mentioned in previous posts, I do have US Citizenship and the ability to work and live in the US is not a problem. I am still living in the UK and do a bit of flying here and there (only about 11 hours on the logbook so far) but now I finally have A few tokens in the pocket, and i've decided its time to take the plunge and go forward with the Move stateside.. I've quit the job, selling up the belongings and move back to New Mexico in 2 weeks!

I'll also be Joining the Air National Guard as well as studying towards my Degree (since this is a prerequisite for US Airline Pilots), so that should hopefully be taken care of in a few years!

My question relates primarily to the syllabus of the FAA PPL material and how similar it is to the EASA books. I've got a few of the Trevor Thom books here that i've been reading through; is it worth continuing on with these, or will the RT, Air Law etc be so different that i would need to purchase additional books for the FAA PPL?

I wouldn't say reading the Pooley's books would do me any harm, but i would quite like to buy the FAA books soon so that I have something to get stuck into prior to the move and to read on the flight over etc (early bird gets the worm and all that)...

Any advice on the above from you guys would be great, and if you can recommend any good FAA books to purchase that'd be helpful too!

Much appreciated!