PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Are home computer flight sims too real?
View Single Post
Old 26th May 2003, 13:49
JoshuaCT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Are home computer flight sims too real?

Dear Pilots,

I'm doing research for an upcoming Salon.com article about the increasing level of realism in popular home computer games such as Microsoft Flight Simulator, Fly!, and several third-party add-on modules for these titles that simulate commercial jet aircraft. (To see one of the latest examples, go here: http://www.precisionmanuals.com/PROD...ners/737NG.htm.)

Given the events of September 11 and the ongoing terrorist obsession with using planes as weapons of destruction (as evidenced by the recent reports of a foiled hijacking plot in Saudi Arabia), are these games getting a little too accurate? I'm not suggesting for a moment that a person could learn to fly an airliner properly using their home computer. Yet could such detailed software be misappropriated by terrorists wishing to become familiar enough with the operations, procedures, V-speeds, and other characteristics of a particular model of aircraft to carry out their mission in the event of a successful hijacking?

The fair and balanced answer that I seek to this question requires input from airline pilots—hence the reason for this posting. If you have experience as a captain or first officer on Boeing or Airbus aircraft and are also acquainted with home computer flight simulators, I'd like to hear your thoughts on the subject. Please e-mail me at [email protected]. Thanks very much in advance for your input.

Sincerely,
Joshua Tompkins