PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Using VPNs
Thread: Using VPNs
View Single Post
Old 19th Nov 2014, 09:14
modtinbasher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Using VPNs

Hi folks, I'm after some help please!

Having just purchased my very first tablet (a very cheap Android thing) and as we visit Madeira shortly, I thought it would be a good idea to load it up with the apps to get local (UK) TV news etc., whilst we are away. Also I do like to look at Pprune on a daily basis! Tinbashette will also be able to keep on top of her favourite programmes too, which will keep me contented!

And then I found that when you are out of the country, things get blocked so you've no access to them. I understand now a little of the frustration of ex-pats commenting on Pprune losing their TV in places like France and Spain. Although I can well believe the Beeb blocking stuff, but why ITV?

After some research I loosely understand the concept of using a VPN, but I'm very hesitant about it. Is it a sound process, and when you've altered your kit to get it to work abroad, what happens when you come back to the UK? Are these things also free for the short term as I'm only away for 3 weeks?

I'd appreciate any advice and specific recommendations on this topic and please be gentle with me, this "app" business is well above my usual comfort zone!

Thanks

MTB