PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - T/R Loss of Effectiveness
View Single Post
Old 19th Nov 2014, 02:56
Gomer Pylot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You want maximum rotor RPM whenever t/r thrust is an issue. When the main rotor slows, the tail rotor slows much more. You want at least 100% Nr.

The 206 weathervanes strongly. Once upon a time (that's how fairy tales start, you know) I was on an offshore platform and had a chip light. Returning to service required a 30 minute penalty run with "some pitch". No further clarification on how much pitch was required or permitted. So being bored at about the 20 minute mark, I started experimenting. I had about a 20 knot wind blowing, and started picking up to a hover, with my feet not actually touching the pedals, to see what would happen. Eventually, I was going from flat pitch to an OGE hover and back to flat pitch, with my feet flat on the floor. As long as the power change was slow and smooth, the nose didn't move at all, up and down and up and down. This tells me that there is no chance of LTE in a 206 as long as the nose is into the wind and the pilot is smooth. But poor pilot technique can get you into trouble in any aircraft.