PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Visual approaches
View Single Post
Old 19th Nov 2014, 01:30
glendalegoon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow, it sure is hard to place a radio frequency in a nav head, or punch some buttons in a fancy FMS to get the ILS to come up.

A few years ago, I was making a non precision (LOC) approach to chicago midway, with a circle to land towards the southeast. I had briefed my copilot (737) who had made us three hours late because SHE forgot to bring her pilot license in her new purse. So it was night time.

So, there we were, snow, but still technically above basic VFR and I told her, once I break off the approach and enter downwind, I want YOU to place the ILS freq to our landing runway on my nav and slew the course selector to the inbound course, ok?

she said: WHY? I've never seen anyone do that before.

I told her, DO IT and I will explain on the ground.

AFTER we landed, I asked her why she wouldn't do what I told her to do. She looked at me as if she were a deer in the headlights.

I explained that once we were off the approach and had the airport in sight, I would fly the downwind/base and intercept final and utilize the ILS for both glideslope information and to make sure we were landing on the correct runway as there were parallel runways.

She said she had never seen that before. I still shake my head over her and the real thing that bothered me, she really couldn' t understand why.

Always use everything you can to make sure you are going to the correct place at the correct altitudes . And if you haven't figured out all the things a pilot has available to find an airport, its time to really sit down and think.