PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jabiru engine failures
View Single Post
Old 18th Nov 2014, 23:14
Squawk7700

Received 194 Likes on 101 Posts
In the interests of disclosure, I run a 3300 Camit engine. They appear to have addressed all of the major Jabiru weaknesses and I’m very happy with the product. It has a starfish collar securing the flywheel, 6061 alloy heads, thicker through bolts than standard Jabiru bolts, piston squirters (aka Lycoming), angled rocker cams, oil filter locking mechanism, updated valves, alternator and more, so it’s clear they are working on the “fixes” and have what appears to be a great product.

I replaced the standard 3300 Jabiru engine in my aircraft with the CAMIT and continued with the standard factory cooling ducts and cowl etc and it simply ran too hot. The LAME had been treating the symptoms by replacing heat affected parts such as heads , valves and cylinders but not the cause of the over-heating. I won’t blame the LAME for a minute as these decisions are usually owner based, but in this case I have no evidence of either.

Basically, the installation was not suitable for either of these engines. I then embarked on a process of monitoring my engine (6 x EGT and 6 x CHT) and eliminating the issues that were causing the heat.

Airflow, airflow and airflow were the fixes, plus a small mixture alteration to bring the temps within tolerance.

Constrained by using a bing carby, I tried a multitude of mixture settings using a series of needle and main jets, some of which were ridiculously over-sized. Nothing worked in getting the CHT’s down until I increased the airflow.

I now enjoy running average CHT temps of around 125 degrees (~257f) with my max takeoff temps having never exceeded 150c (300f). Max OAT thus far 36 deg.

If anyone is interested in some pictures of the modifications required to achieve these figures, please contact me. As for those suggesting that you can’t perform these modifications due to certification constraints, needs to simply discuss with the factory.