PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SHANNON
Thread: SHANNON
View Single Post
Old 18th Nov 2014, 21:09
confused atco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stobart are closing their base I would assume due to performance but they clearly are expecting increased pressure from Ryanair - why did they pull their manchester service? Ryanair launched Manchester which is expected as they cant compete with Ryanair on routes
As far as I can ascertain only route that RYANAIR competed with STOBART from Shannon was the Manchester one.

So why pull the others?

Airline business logic and referenced in the Irish Examiner article would seem they can get better use elsewhere.

A Stobart Air spokeswoman said last night: “We are currently finalising our 2015 schedule, which will include further positive developments in our route network. As part of this, we are reviewing our operations at Shannon. Full details of our 2015 schedule will be outlined in the coming weeks.”

but its clear from looking at the numbers on the new Ryanair services in Shannon that some of them have not performed yet are operating through the winter - hard to explain this?
You work in some section in an airport that gave you access to the relevant figures or do you have something to back it up?

I agree with you to a point on ryanair moving aircraft to yield better return but they are clearly punishing cork in particular by blatantly moving successful routes such as the Polish and Lithuanian routes to Shannon to force the DAA to either signficantly reduce the charges in Cork or to force Govt to give them independance - you would imagine they have a fairly good deal in Knock also
I heard the exact same arguments when RYANAIR withdrew from Shannon.

It was not true then.

So why do you think that RYANAIR care so much about Cork independence that they will try force the Governments hand by reducing services?