PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Will Virgin Blue Ever Operate Internationally?
Old 26th May 2003, 09:04
Johhny Utah

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Pete Conrad - what is with your fascination with SQ? Given all of the drama & grief caused by Ansett going under, I fail to see how it would be good for Australia to have an entirely overseas owned, government monopoly come in to Australia and take away jobs from some of the 30,000 peope that are employed by Qantas. Please feel free to explain to me how this would be a benefit to Australia in any way. Much like Three bars, I am constantly amazed by everyone trying to cut down the local airline in favor of an overseas entrant. Somehow I doubt that if Singapore do eventually come in that they will be paying huge money for local drivers - especially given the wage precedent set by the arrival of Virgin Blue.

As for all of your talk regarding SQ - perhap[s they won't be involved as much as you have suggested. News reports this morning on Ch 9's "Today Show" suggested that Emirates may be coming to Australia in more force & possibly even flying Trans Tasman in the not too distant future. I'd be interested to see how this fits in with your 'ideal scenario' of Singapore dominating the skies over Australia. I'm not saying that it is a definite (it was a commercial TV station after all....) but it might force a bit of a rethink amongst some of the players in the region...