PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - THY assessment - Anybody going on Nov 24th?
Old 18th Nov 2014, 17:05
malchogancho

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
to too_much,

I applied 2 months ago... received the first email 6 weeks later. They asked for my application, license and passport. 20 minutes later I received the invitation. I had a choice of 3 assessment dates in 3 consecutive weeks. I picked the middle one and next day they confirmed it. A week later I was contacted by a second person confirming the day I chose - the 24th. Also they told me that final confirmation would be on Friday with ticket details for Sunday.

Never asked for any additional documents just sent me a list with other stuff to bring to the assessment.

Tomorrow I will asked them to confirm again, but they've been staying in touch with me the whole time.

Also, THY is a good company. I know more than 10 pilots(5 foreign) and they are all happy there. If you research this forum you will find out that there are just a few people that complain about it, and do not miss a chance to do it. Anyone spending so much energy in doing so has a deeper problem.

Few things you need to know:

1. Foreign first officers have not been upgraded to captains yet, but it takes 5-6 years even for the Turkish ones. Many foreign FO have been upgraded to wide body.

2. You do need a University diploma to progress (also required for Turkish pilots)

3. If you come from far, commuting will be almost impossible during the first year, but you can take unpaid days off.

4. Money is around 4500 euro for FO's based on 70 hrs and this is what you fly. This includes the bonus. It is good for me, but not enough for some people.

5. If you have chance to go to Air France or Lufthansa, do it! After all, what we do depends on what choices we have. I personally come from Bulgaria - I get half the money and spend 8 months in Africa and Asia doing 100 hrs/month. Commuting for me would not be a problem because it is a 5 hour drive, or 1 hr flight, which THY has twice a day. I have been with my company for 4 years and need 3 more to get upgraded. Even upgraded I will make 3200 euro and have the same roster. So it is a choice!

6. China does not pave roads in gold to get pilots

This is the information that I have collected the last 3 months and do believe it is pretty accurate.

Let me know if I can help.