PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - [B]Wing Commander R F Hamlyn, AFC, DFM[/B]
Old 18th Nov 2014, 13:02
Tankertrashnav

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts
[B]Wing Commander R F Hamlyn, AFC, DFM[/B]

Today's Times has a report on the forthcoming sale of the late Wing Commander Ronald Hamlyn's medals. The story of the DFM, won when he was flying Spitfires on 610 Squadron is very interesting:

Sgt. R.F. Hamlyn DFM, who was also known as ‘The Pied Piper of Harrogate’ and became the RAF’s first ‘Ace in a Day’ of World War Two. He joined 610 squadron on the 6th June 1940. Hamlyn downed two enemy aircraft before the 24th August, but on this day he destroyed a Ju88 and four Bf109s to become an ‘Ace in a Day’. Hamlyn then destroyed Bf109s on the 26th, 27th, 28th and 30th Aug. He was awarded the D.F.M. on the 13th September 1940 and the A.F.C. on the 1st January 1943. He rose to the rank of Wing Commander and survived the war but sadly died on 7th May 1991.
Unfortunately the Times report shows some typically sloppy reporting, referring to him as a squadron leader at the time of the Battle of Britain and describing his DFM as a Distinguished Flying Cross. I know we are always moaning about this sort of stuff on here, but really, facts like these are so easy to check.

The group, which includes his log books, AFC, DFM, WW2 campaign medals and 1953 Coronation medal are estimated to make £60,000, but who knows?

I think I'll pass on these