PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BOAC B707 ops in the 1960s
View Single Post
Old 18th Nov 2014, 12:44
beerdrinker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ah, the trials and tribulations of navigating. I was on a course out of Hamble scheduled to become VC10 pilots. There was a parallel course scheduled to become 707 pilots. There was a hold in the pilot training line so it was decided that we should start our Nav training. Only problem was that rostering put us on a 707 nav course and the 707 boys on a VC 10 nav course. Great fun. I seem to remember that the roof profile in the cockpit was different on the two aircraft. The 707 had a small foot stool so you could get higher. This put your nether regions slightly higher. It was not unknown, as you were concentrating like mad on the bubble and faint star, for the A girl to come up and slowly unzip your BOAC regulation uniform trousers.

Some of the Nav Instructors were not the nicest. There was one who would wait until you had done all the checks and while your back was turned would substitute the the power cable you had checked for one he kept which had a hidden cut in it. So there you were, calculations complete, ready to shoot and the sextant would not work. He would try to blame you for not checking everything.

Some of the check navs did not have a sense of humour. As was stated earlier it was OK to get a fix from a Weather Ship - problem was that they had no idea were they were. But once I got a rollicking from the Nav Office because on the day in question, Loran was very patchy, daylight so only the sun (and a couple of clever things you could do with it - no Moon and Venus), and Consul was also patchy that far north. We were following a Pan Am 747, so I used the weather radar to get a range and distance from him, asked for his INS position and then plotted our position. As I said nav Office did not appreciate my efforts.

One of the saviours for some instructors was the ADF. I heard of one who had a nagging feeling about the student's position. He tuned up the Home Service at Droitwich on 200 khz, watched it swing round and told the captain to steer that way whilst he found out where they really were.