PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 18th Nov 2014, 10:04
ancientaviator62

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
TBT,
I am indeed referring to the episode you have mentioned. Before I start my story just a reminder that if anyone has better info please speak up. I do not have my 'faithful friend' to jog my memory. It was all a long time ago and so this tale may come out in more than one post. No teasing intended just a slowish recollection of the facts. Perhaps you could refrain from commenting until my tale is done. That way I will not get sidetracked and miss out something relevant.
First let me clear up one point. In the episode referred to it was a G/E committing these acts. In real life it was a loadmaster. I was told they rewrote history (as they always do) because the storyline would have more credence if a tech tradesman was involved.
The incidents in question occurred on 48 Sqn at Changi whilst I was on the squadron. I was not on any of the trips(there were several) involved but the chap who blew the whistle was. He was a loadmaster too and I had his story first hand. So unless he is lurking on this thread then my recollection may be as good as you are going to get.
We were having a/c divert due to ramp lock problems (been here before) uncommanded throttle and control movements and weirdest of all the Utility hydraulic system reservoir sight glass breaking.
One of the problems in sorting through this mix of incidents was that the first three were not unknown although not common (even the ramp locks were being sorted) but the sight glass breakages were unique as far as I am aware. I never had one, not even in the days of inflight top ups of the system (which idiot designed the filler cap and neck !)
TBC